Norwich Census of the Poor, 1570
This data was originally transcribed and published by John F. Pound in 196?, along with a detailed analysis. Over 800 poorer residents of the city are recorded with details of their families, residence and employment.
The data is presented as a single web-page for convenient handling;
(Still to be added (Aug '99) names of the property owners who had been councillors or alderman at around that time.)
Three versions of the file are available:
- 1570data.html This contains the data in the original order showing together families sharing accomodation. [250 K]
- 1570name.html This contains the data re-arranged into alphabetical order of surname; making searching easier and grouping like names together. [250 K]
- 1570data.txt This tab delimited text file should drop into any spreadsheet or database. [180 K]
- 1570map.gif Map below, showing the wards in Norwich in 1570 as a seperate file. [15 K]
Web page format has been chosen because it is:
- portable across different types of computer,
- compact: 250K for the complete file;
- and flexible:
- it can be printed straight from the browser
- and, did you know; when browsing, if you select all the data in the web page's table, it can be copied and pasted into a spreadsheet or database.
- single page can be stored on hard disc as permanent reference.
Comments on the usefulness or otherwise of these files would be welcomed:
[last updated: 18th April 2001]Email: Paul Welbank firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com